MJ-school senior named student designer of the year, students sweep international Society For News Design competition for 8th consecutive year
Tar Heels from the UNC School of Media and Journalism accounted for 21 of the 64 award recipients in the 2018 international Society for News Design's annual Student Design Contest. Of the first place recipients, now-graduate José Valle '18 was recognized as the Student Designer of the Year.
"Especially since I got the news while surrounded with the hype of graduation, I still haven't completely processed that I got this award," said Valle, who first received the news back in May 2018. "I couldn't have done it without the help of all my previous mentors, like [Associate Professor] Terence Oliver, who have taught me so much about design and who I am as a designer. It's super encouraging to have designers of the caliber that MSUSND judges are to see potential in me, and I just hope I don't let them down going forward."
The 2018 design contest is the 19th time the Society for News Design has held the international contest and the eighth year in a row that the MJ-school has won the most overall awards of any university. Winners from the eight contests can be viewed on the Society for News Design website: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011.
In total, MJ-school students received six first place, one second place, four third place and 10 honorable mentions in the 2018 contest. The School of the Art Institute of Chicago earned the second-most awards in the 2018 contest with 14 recipients.
The Society for News Design was founded in 1979 and is an international organization for news media professionals and visual communicators. It established its student competition in 2000 to recognize outstanding work done by young visual journalists. Through its annual competition, the Society for News Design encourages ethical journalism and storytelling across mediums.
Congratulations to the 2018 student award recipients:
- Sports Page Design: Ashley Anderson (Click here to view)
- Special Sections: Lauren Farrington, Kristen Goldberg, Brianna Hales, Gloria Jing, Bella Lupoli, Aileen Ma, Emily Pai, Janie Price, Ellie Rodriguez, Jack Smith, Thomas Squire Jr., José Valle, Brian Vercauteren, Zita Voros, Mela Williams, Echo Zhou (Click here to view)
- Infographics: Macy Abernethy (Click here to view)
- Promotions & Advertising: Kara Wiley (Click here to view)
- Standalone Multimedia: Carol Bono, Dara Burg, Alexandra Coelho, Adam Lau (Click here to view)
- Student Designer of the Year: José Valle (Pictured above)
- Alternative Story Format: Lydia McInnes (Pictured above)
- Art & Illustration: Hanna Davison (Pictured above)
- Promotions & Advertising: Xiaoke Ji (Click here to view)
- Standalone Multimedia: Veasey Conway, Natalie Roush, Madison Stevens, Madison Walls (Click here to view)
- Standalone Multimedia: Diandra Dwyer, Michaela Deguzman,Grace Han, Jordan Van Hoy, Esther Lee, Mary Luong (Click here to view)
- Front Page Design: Zita Voros (Click here to view)
- Feature Page Design: Lydia McInnes (Click here to view)
- Art & Illustration: Madison Stevens (Click here to view)
- Infographics: Zita Voros (Click here to view)
- Infographics: Asia Chou (Click here to view)
- Promotions & Advertising: Irene Zhou (Click here to view)
- Promotions & Advertising: Jessica Zhang (Pictured above)
- Standalone Multimedia: Dominique Jabbour (Click here to view)
- Digital Storytelling: Carolina Photojournalism Workshop 2017 team (Click here to view)
- Digital Storytelling: Jessica Zhang (Pictured above)