Academic Advising

MJ-school academic advising

MJ-school Academic Advising is available 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, in the Student Services area on the first floor of Carroll Hall via walk-in hours or by appointment. Hours not designated for appointments are open to walk-in advising. The first two weeks of each semester and the two weeks surrounding ConnectCarolina course registration are walk-in only for all advisers.

Sharon Jones

Director of Student Services and Assessment
158 Carroll Hall
(919) 962-2479

Marla Barnes

Assistant Student Services Manager
159 Carroll Hall
(919) 962-0531

Appointment only:
MW | 2-4:30 p.m.
TuTh | 8:30-11:30 a.m.

Tricia Robinson

Student Records Assistant
160 Carroll Hall
(919) 962-3744

Appointment only:
MW | 8:30-11:30 a.m.
TuTh | 2-4:30 p.m.


Make an appointment


NOTE: UNC students not yet admitted to the MJ-school should meet with General College academic advising in Steele Building, NOT MJ-school academic advising. Exception: Students with 60+ hours submitting an intra-transfer request.


Other academic advising

Additional walk-in academic advising hours for the MJ-school include Senior Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies Charlie Tuggle; Director of Journalism Laura Ruel; and Director of Advertising and Public Relations John Sweeney.

Charlie Tuggle Laura Ruel John Sweeney

Charlie Tuggle

Senior Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies
123 Carroll Hall
(919) 962-5694

Th | Walk-ins only, 8-9 a.m.


Laura Ruel

Director of Journalism
212 Carroll Hall
(919) 962-0218

TuTh | Walk-ins only, 2-3 p.m.
By appointment

John Sweeney

Director of Advertising and Public Relations
235 Carroll Hall
(919) 360-4305

Tu | Walk-ins only, 10-11 a.m.


Frequently Asked Questions

UNC Academic Advising is located in Steele Building and available to all admitted UNC students.

MJ-school Academic Advising is located in the Student Services area on the first floor of Carroll Hall and is intended for admitted MJ-school students only.

Unless you are making an appointment to submit an intra-transfer request, students not yet admitted to the MJ-school should report to Steele Building for all academic advising needs.

The MJ-school degree audit request form and the UNC graduation application are two separate forms and are completed for different purposes by different deadlines.

MJ-school degree audit request

Submit your MJ-school degree audit request form by the appropriate deadline to allow advisers to complete an audit of curriculum progress. In the past, this process has also been referred to as "applying for graduation through the MJ-school."

Deadlines for MJ-school audit degree request forms:

  • May & August graduates — October 15
  • December graduates — March 15

Apply here

Note: You do not need to make a degree audit appointment with MJ-school Academic Advising unless the audit has already been completed and you would like to check in.


UNC graduation application

All students must apply for graduation through their ConnectCarolina account. If you do not see the “Apply for Graduation” link, you are not currently eligible to apply. If you believe this is in error, please contact MJ-school Academic Advising. Don’t see your graduation date?  No worries! The system is not open to you yet. 

Click here to view more information from the Office of the University Registrar on applying for graduation through ConnectCarolina.

Deadlines for UNC graduation applications:

Undergraduate and graduate students majoring or minoring in the School of Media and Journalism may seek out independent study and directed-reading course opportunities with faculty members who agree to supervise their work. An independent study or directed-reading course can take the form of (1) research that could, but does not have to, result in a major paper, (2) investigation of a topic not covered in the current curriculum or, in extraordinary circumstances, (3) completing coursework for a MEJO class that for serious reason does not fit into the student’s schedule. After completing the authorization form with the supervising faculty member’s signature of approval, the student must return the Independent Study form to the senior associate dean (in the Dean’s Suite) by the last day of classes of the semester prior to the independent study.

Students in the MJ-school who wish to register for more than 18 hours in a fall or spring semester or more than 8 hours in a summer session must seek permission from the school.

Overload requests are typically reserved for seniors who need the additional hours to graduate or students in truly extenuating circumstances.

Starting Fall 2017, the underload and overload request forms have been combined into a single online form.

Apply here

If you have completed a School of Media and Journalism degree application / degree audit request form and received word from a MEJO adviser that you need fewer than 12 hours to meet all requirements for that semester’s graduation, you may be eligible to carry a senior underload.

You must be enrolled in all remaining degree requirements and intend to graduate at the end of the current semester. Please read the following carefully before deciding on carrying a senior underload.

As a full-time undergraduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, you are required to carry at least twelve (12) academic credit hours every semester. However, in the School of Media and Journalism during your final semester you are permitted to carry a course load of fewer than twelve (12) credit hours if those credits will satisfy ALL remaining graduation requirements. For reporting purposes, you will be considered a part-time student.

  • Carrying an academic underload gives you the same rights, privileges and responsibilities as undergraduates carrying twelve (12) or more credit hours. You pay regular student fees (with tuition based on the number of enrolled credit hours) and are permitted to reside in on-campus housing, utilize campus support services, and have access to athletic events.
  • It is your responsibility to check with your insurance provider and/or with the Office of Scholarships & Student Aid to verify whether enrolling in fewer than twelve (12) hours will affect your coverage, scholarship or loan.

If you have questions or need additional information about academic underloading, please contact MJ-school Academic Advising or the Office of the University Registrar.

Starting Fall 2017, the underload and overload request forms have been combined into a single online form. Apply here


Academic forms and resources

Academic worksheets
Course details
Independent study
Degree applications
Enrollment forms
Other advising appointments